Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Throwback Music: Mariah Carey's "Fantasy (Remix) ft. ODB"



I have this song on my iPod, respectively. And it's one of those blessed songs that when on shuffle, I'll pass when I see it's the next song that is about to play, but in which I second guess myself while listening to the song I skipped to, and go back to listen because I feel a certain way for skipping it. It deserves better than a skip.

In other words, sure guilty pleasure. Can't help yourself. "Lemme get a little taste..." kind of situation we're talking about here.

There's many reasons why I skip "Fantasy," then jump back to it 30 seconds into the next song.

The Nostalgia Whirlpool: When I was younger, my sisters and I were not allowed to watch "The Idiot Box aka TV," and so we had to spark the creative parts of our brain and find ways to entertain ourselves. So here we have this bomb ass 8 track. Like... That 8 track was everything. If we weren't playing computer games, playing UNO or Go Fish, playing with our dolls, we would fill that 8 track and jam.

The 8 Track would consist of TLC, The Fugees, The Spice Girls, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Michael & Janet Jackson (DAMITA JO!! -insert fangirl scream here-), and of course, Mariah Carey.

We especially had the good albums. Celine Dion's "Colour of Love," Janet's "The Velvet Rope," Mariah's "Daydream"... So when we'd blast those songs through our two stereo speakers, my 4 year old sister and the 8 year old me would don our heads with pantyhose and chache around the house while listening to these divas sing and sing along to them.

ESPECIALLY "Fantasy."

The beat's fun and playful, the lyrics are cute, and Mariah was so beautifully innocent yet powerful through her vocals, it was irresistible. Back when she wasn't trying to keep herself relevant by creating drama for herself, like now, all she had to do was sing, and she'd have little girls all over the world, like me for example, singing with her. Because for 3 minutes, we could be Mariah Carey.

This is why this song is today's throwback.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...